Home  /  History /  Operations /  Product Quality /  Sales & Service /  Industry Links /  Contact Us  
 
 

             History



In 1833, the Jarvis Company built their first blast furnace in Erie, Pennsylvania. Power was obtained by a blind horse walking in a circle, hitched to a shaft. The Perry Iron Company was later organized in 1905.

By 1907, another furnace was lit. In 1912, the Perry Iron Company sold their interest in the plant to Pickands, Mather and Company of Cleveland, Ohio. A battery of Wilputte coke ovens was built on a site east of the furnace. The battery contained 37 ovens, which became operational in 1925.

 
  The annual capacity of the plant was 300,000 tons of coal processed, or about 195,000 tons of coke produced.

Plant operation was eventually taken over by the Interlake Iron Company of Chicago, Illinois, which changed the name to Perry Furnace Company. In January 1942, "B" Battery was put into operation, which consisted of 35 ovens of the Wilputte double-divided, underjet design. In January 1952, "A" Battery was put into service on the site of the original 1925 battery, and it was a Wilputte two-divided, gun type with 23 coke ovens.

 

Interlake continued operations until 1967 when the plant was closed. On July 16, 1970, the plant was restarted to convert coal to coke for the Koppers Company.

The plant was initially operated by Interlake under a coal conversion agreement with Koppers. On March 1, 1974, Interlake leased the plant to Koppers with a purchase option included at the end of the agreement, which Koppers exercised, and purchased the site in 1980.

In early 1987, the facility was acquired by J.D.Crane and began operations as Erie Coke Corporation. The plant continues to operate as a merchant producer of high-quality foundry coke.

    Erie Coke Corporation 2008 All Rights Reserved
HOME      HISTORY      OPERATIONS      PRODUCT QUALITY

SALES & SERVICE           INDUSTRY LINKS        CONTACT US